There are few technical requirements to access “The Indonesian Way”. You can use virtually any computer operating system, e.g. Ubuntu, Apple OS (10.1 or higher), or Windows. For portable devices, please note that «The Indonesian Way» relies on Flash which is not supported by iOS. However, we are working towards a flash-free version. Naturally, for an online course you neet Internet access (preferably broad band).
In order to access «The Indonesian Way» you don’t need to purchase any extra software. All programs you need can be downloaded for free. You will need the following software:
- A browser. The material has been tested with recent (post 2010) versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Opera. Firefox works best. With Opera we have encountered slight incompatibilities. The materials have not been tested on Internet Explorer.
- Flash. We have used html5 where ever we could, but unfortunately in some cases we had to use Flash, which can be downloaded here.
- An audio/video player. We highly recommend the free VLC media player.
- A pdf reader. Mac users can read pdf files instantly through Preview, but all other will have to download a pdf reader such as Adobe Reader.
- Open Office, Apple Works, or Microsoft Office to open the slide shows. All slide shows are provided in two formats: Keynote (preferred option) and as a PowerPoint file.
- If you want to make use of the vocabulary flashcards, we strongly suggest downloading the free spaced repetition program Anki available for Mac OSX, Linux, Windows, iPhone, Android etc. (Spaced repetition is a learning technique that incorporates increasing intervals of time between subsequent review of previously learned vocabulary in order to exploit the psychological spacing effect)